What does it mean to have an aesthetic?

In fashion the word aesthetic is used a lot. I've seen it being used on social media platforms when taking about style, blogs, people and clothing.

It made me think about what it means to have an aesthetic. When you think about certain designers like Yohji Yamamoto, Givenchy, Rick Owens and Rei Kawakubo you automatically have a general feeling about their clothes.

The word "feeling" when applying it towards clothes is an interesting idea, it extends beyond the look of an article of clothing and focusing on the feeling you get from look at them. Is that what it means to have an aesthetic?

I think to some extent it does, one time I had jokingly described an outfit to a friends as being "the tortured art student aesthetic." When you think of that descriptor don;t you get a certain image, feeling and maybe a color will pop into your head? I think the concept of aesthetic is fascinating and fun to think about. It gives clothes a sense of identity beyond the body and I think that's wonderful.

To have an aesthetic is like having a persona or identity, it's malleable, shifting, fun and gives you a chance to explore your tastes. I think this is part of the reason why I've been drawn to fashion over the past couple of months. It's empowering, it gives you agency over how you express and represent yourself. What's your aesthetic?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author