Revisiting HTML

Codes, codes and codes.

I took a class during my freshman year that was on CIS (computer science), it was a required course and I hated it. It looked like a bunch of gibberish to me and would make my head hurt like nothing else. When I realized we were going to experiment with HTML in this class all I could think was "not again."



I find it funny that as a writing major I hated the language that essentially makes up web pages. I, like everyone else, use the Internet constantly; however, beyond my first experience with HTML I never really thought about what it was that makes up what shows on my screen.

Linguistics fascinates me, it's what fuels my passion for writing and language, but the language of codes behind computers will always be something that alludes me. As a recreational blogger on Tumblr, we have themes or templates that are obviously code-based. There are people who make them from scratch and I completely admire their effort and willingness behind tackling HTML. They went out of their way to study codes in order to express themselves through a template they felt would best portray their thoughts and interests.

As I think of HTML as more than just endless code and as something that is used to essentially create individual spaces I'm more open to revisiting it. It's an extension of self-expression in a language I've yet to fully grasp.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author