Selfe and Literacy

Selfe states two definitions of technological literacy, one of which is: "... a complex set of socially and culturally situated values, practices, and skills involved operating linguistically within the context of electronic environments, including reading, writing and communicating." I think this is a great definition that still applies today when we consider the discourse surrounding technology in the classroom. I was first taught how to use a computer in 4th grade, the first thing I was taught was how to type. This demonstrates the beginning of my training of learning how to communicate electronically. I remember being completely excited about the experience because I didn't have a computer at home and I was tired of being taught how to write script at the time.

It wasn't until I reached high school that I felt a big transition into technology being implemented as we started having smart boards being placed into our classrooms, though it was only a handful of them I remember being excited for a completely different learning experience. I would get to experience learning from a computer, "How Cool!" I thought, that was until none of my teachers used it as they often wrote next to the board and pretended like it wasn't there. As I think back on it, I think my teachers were uncomfortable with it, often dodging around it like it was some alien entity that invaded the classroom. I think if we really want to implement technological literacy it needs to start with teachers, they are using teaching methods based around an age where technology had no place in the classroom or are being taught by those people who are completely against it.

If the person who's teaching doesn't know how to effectively work with technology how can we expect them to efficiently teach the same to their students, it's like they're on completely different wavelengths. I'm not sure how it was done in other high schools or how it is now, but most of writing was done on paper as I wasn't even assigned my first research paper until my senior year which I was completely unprepared for. The only writing I did on a computer was when I had to create a presentation with my classmates at school and only there or when I was browsing the internet at home if no one was on it.

I know that things are changing now thankfully as my niece who's in fourth grade sometimes come home with an assignment she can only access online. It's nice to see that her teacher is utilizing the internet to not only get her students to engage with technology beyond a school setting, but also requiring them to complete them online and discuss what they did in class. Although it's been slow going there is some progress being made in schools now compared to when I attended.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author